Senior Care Tools: Wheelchair Ramps for Home Accessibility
Senior care tools make providing attentive care for your aging loved one easier and safer. One of the best senior care tools that are available to caregivers is a wheelchair ramp.
Safety ramps provide additional home accessibility and safety for seniors who are coping with mobility issues. These ramps can be established on the outside of the home as well as the inside to help seniors who have difficulty getting upstairs move freely and safely. Ramps provide a gentle incline that is easier to walk up and down, or provide access for a wheelchair. Having these ramps in place greatly reduces the chances of a senior falling and injuring himself, which is one of the most serious risks that seniors face. Having ramps properly installed in the home also promotes a greater sense of independence as seniors are given greater access to the entirety of their homes, and are able to move throughout their homes, and even outside of their homes, more easily and safely.
Some of the benefits of having wheelchair ramps installed in the home include:
- Seniors report greater compliance with senior care appointments and treatments that involve leaving the home
- Increased mobility and the opportunity to get out of the home and participate in a wider variety of activities on a regular basis
- Greater opportunity for social involvement and investment in the community
- Seniors report greater access to social service programs
- Increased opportunity to remain in the home throughout life
- Improved access for first responders to get to the senior in the event of an emergency, and then moves a senior out of the home is necessary
- More willingness to leave the home to run errands, visit family and friends or simply enjoy the fresh air