Home Modifications for Children with Autism in NJ
If you have a child with autism, Mobility Construction can help you ensure your child’s safety and comfort by modifying your homes to make it more accessible for them. But there are many ways you can modify your home by yourself.
As an expert in home modification for disabled children, we give you tips on how you can make your home safe to navigate for your child.
- Exterior Modifications.
- Use locks and alarms on doors and windows, so you’ll know when your child enters or exits your house.
- Make sure to keep all your garbage and scraps away, so your child won’t pick them up.
- Kitchen Modifications.
- Install durable surfaces in your kitchen. Keep your glassware and porcelain out of reach.
- Make sure your kitchen area has a place wherein your child can sit and work if they need to.
- Keep hazardous items in a safe and secure space that is out of your child’s reach.
- Label items to explain what they’re for and enforce rules for them to follow.
- Bathroom Modifications.
- Avoid fluorescent lighting as these can tire children with autism easily.
- Organize bathroom items in see-through plastic bins, so your child knows where everything is.
- Make sure your bathroom remains clutter-free.
These are just some of the things you can do to make your home safe and comfortable for your child with autism. If you want to know more about handicap accessibility in New Jersey, contact our team today!
We not only make your home wheelchair accessible by installing ramps in Freehold, New Jersey, but we can also help you with other modifications that will best suit your child with special needs.